Solar Do Castelo
The only hotel within the walls of São Jorge Castle, on the top of Alfama old quarter.
Saint George's Castle can be seen from almost everywhere in the city. Its oldest parts date from the 6th century, when it was fortified by the Romans, Visigoths, and eventually the Moors. It served as a Moorish royal residence until Portugal's first king Afonso Henriques captured it in 1147 with the help of northern European crusaders on their way to the Holy Land. São Jorge Castle accommodates between its walls a typical set of houses. Between these walls is the Solar Do Castelo, the only hotel situated within the medieval village. An 18th century Building, built on the site of the former kitchens of the Alcáçovas Palace.